- Before a police report is made, a woman has already been assaulted as many as 35 times!
- Assault of woman happens in all education and income brackets and in all religious and ethnic groups.
- Children who witness abuse and violence are as traumatized as much as they would be if they had suffered the abuse themselves.
- A woman killed in BC is more likely to have been killed by her partner than by anyone else, and she is more likely to be injured by her partner than in a car accident.
- Woman are 13 times more likely to be abused in their own homes than by a stranger on the street.
- Children from abusive homes are at a greater risk of abusing or being abused.
- Violence affects all family members. whether they show the effects or not.
- Date rape happens when someone you know coerces or forces you to do things you don’t want to.
- Four out of five victims of sexual assaults reported to police say they were attacked by someone they know.
- 1 out of every 2 women in Canada has been physically or sexually assaulted at least once (from the age of 16). This figure represents 51% of 10 million woman.
- 1 in 3 woman experience physical assault, from threats of assault to attacks causing serious injury.
- Children witness violence in 4 out if 10 marriages where violence is reported.
- 45% of victims know their attackers.
- 29% of woman have experienced violence at the hands of a present or former partner.
- 15% of woman experience violence by the men they still live with.
- 63% of woman attacked by their male partner are assaulted more than once; 32% are assaulted more than 10 times.
- Only 14% of violent incidents against woman are reported to the police.
It’s hard to leave someone you love.
On average, women leave the relationship 6-8 times before they leave permanently.
Say “NO!!” to violence.